Saturday, February 16, 2013

Easy Curried Chicken Salad

Here's another recipe salvaged from my memories of the old Holt Renfrew menu.  Again, this is for my friend Lynne with whom I enjoyed many a meal there.  It was one of her favourites.
 
This is SO easy.  It makes a wonderful work lunch or easy dinner.  You can also stuff it into a pita or serve with a nice dense pumpernickel.
 
This serves 2.
 
Single people - it's easy to halve the recipe!
 
You will need: 
 
 
1/2 C mayo
1 T curry powder
1/2 C diced celery
1/4 cup almond slivers, toasted
1 medium diced granny smith apple (see below)
2 C cooked, diced chicken (see note below)
Not shown: 2 C chicken broth for poaching
1/8 T ground pepper (or less if you want it toned down)

TO TOAST ALMONDS:
Place almonds in a shallow pan.
In a preheated 300 degree oven, toast nuts for 10 minutes.
Cool.
 
 
TO POACH CHICKEN:
In a sauce pan, bring 2 cups chicken broth to a boil.
 
Place 2 boneless chicken breasts halfs or,
1 breast half and 3 boneless skinless thighs* in the broth and reduce to simmer for about 20 minutes.
 
As always, I remind you to poach your chicken in broth so your meat has flavour.
 
Cool and dice into bite sized pieces.
 
 
* This is what I used as they were the leftovers from the packages I used for the Matzo Ball soup the other day.
 
 
EASY APPLE CHOPPING LESSON:

Quarter and core the apple.
Don't peel it!

Cut each quarter into 3 or 4 slices.

Dice into medium chunks like this...

Put chicken, apples and celery in a bowl.


Add mayo, curry and pepper (if using) at this point.
Taste for your salt preference.  I put in a couple of grinds.
 
Stir in almonds.
Don't add them until you're ready to serve/eat.
If you're packing for lunch, store them separately.

And here you have it.
Curried chicken salad with the crispness of celery, tartness of apples, earthy almonds and tender chickem morsels!

1 comment:

  1. I used to live in the Bloor Yonge area of Toronto and on pay day I would stop there on my way home and pick up a few goodies from the restaurant downstairs and always some of this chicken salad. I would always say I could make this myself and far cheaper but somehow it was still a luxury and a treat.

    ReplyDelete