Sunday, February 24, 2013

Easy Dutch Pancakes aka Breakfast Yorkshires

I love weekend brunch.  It's a chance to deviate from the regular weekday morning fare.  I like to deviate - often.  (Does this make me a deviant or a deviator?)
 
This is an easy Dutch pancake that reminds me of British Yorkshires, hence, explaining why I've labelled them as this.  It's essentially the same principle - dropping batter into hot fat and sending them off to the oven until they rise in all their golden puffaliciousness!
 
I'm always mindful of my single friends.  This is super easy to make for one  person.  Treat yourself.  You'll think twice about grabbing that cereal box on a weekend morning! 
 
And while I'm at it, why save this just for a breakfast or brunch? This would be a lovely unexpected dinner party dessert: instead of sour cream or yogurt, use ice cream and top with something yummy!
 
SO very easy. I guarantee you will feel like a gourmet chef!
 
Here's what you'll need for 2 people:

1 C berries (blue-b, straw-b, rasp-b or mix)
1/2 C sour cream or vanilla yogurt
1/2 C flour
1/2 C milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
4 T butter
 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
 
Melt 2 T butter in each oven proof baking dish* in your hot oven for about 2 to 3 minutes - while you're making your batter.   Careful not to burn it.  A little brown is OK for a hint of nutty flavour.  The butter should be hot enough so there is a little sizzle when you pour the batter in (see picture below).
 
(* These are oven proof dishes I have on hand. They measure about 6 inches in diameter.)
 
Mix flour, milk and eggs by hand blender or regular blender until smooth.   I'm using my hand blender and a wide mouthed beaker like container with a spout for easy pouring.
 
 
Pour batter evenly in dishes.  See how the edges almost start cooking because of the heated butter?  The tiny bubbles are also because of the batter's contact with the heat.
 
Now bake 15 minutes in the middle rack of the oven.
 
15 minutes later...  Look how it's risen - golden, puffy!
Like a big bowl o' pancake waiting to be filled and adorned with tasty toppings!
 
Immediately fill evenly with sour cream or yogurt.  I used vanilla flavoured yogurt.  The pancake itself is not sweet so you have to add that here - sweeten your sour cream with sugar - regular or brown or even maple syrup.  I added more sweetness with the finishing sugar.
 
Top with berries.  I happened to have blueberries in the fridge so that's what I used.  I also had leftover raspberry coulis from a dinner party the other night so I drizzled that over the yogurt.
 
It's really pretty with a red/blue mix.  However, I encourage you to make it your own.  Add apple pie filling, chopped peaches -whatever tastes good to you!
 
Sprinkle with powdered sugar for a beautiful finish like this!  Serve right away!
 
Tell me.  Would you not love to sit down to this breakfast? 
A puffy, buttery pancake, creamy yogurt, plump blueberries and a side order of crisp bacon.  Have a very  delicious morning! 
 
 
 
 



 

 



 

 

 

 

 

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment